Ages 7 to 13
Linne Doran: Duvall, WA
Cost is for Wednesday OR Thursday
9am – 3pm
Wednesdays: 9/14/22- 5/24/23
and Thursdays: 9/15/22 – 5/25/23
“My kids love the overall experience. I know the experience they are having is something that isn’t always quantifiable but I can see it in ways that amaze me, in their confidence, their inner growth, and in the strong curiosity, kindness, and care they show for all of life.”– Mother of 9 and 10 year old students
“My child felt important and knew he was part of something much bigger than himself. He belonged, yet continued to flourish as himself. His confidence grew immensely.”– Mother of 8 year old student
Wilderness Awareness Youth School is a weekly nature program for children. Students can register for one or both days. Note that the cost listed is per program day.
Village Day: Ages 7-12
Foxes: Age 7-9
Coyotes: Age 10-13
Youth School opens the portals of curiosity, imagination, and connection for any child with an interest in nature. Through creative play and exploration, students work together in small groups with a low student-to-instructor ratio. Students gain nature awareness and knowledge of plants, mammals, birds, tracking and survival. During the year there are field trips and guest instructors in various topics.
The Village Program (Wednesday) is for 7-12 year-olds. This program fosters a community of students based on multi-age learning, peer-to-peer mentoring, and interest-based curriculum. The wide age range creates a unique environment for adventuring and exploring. Most parents choose between Wednesday and Thursday Youth School options based on what best fits their schedule. Some families sign up for both days since each program is unique and offers something different.
Thursday is broken up by age: Foxes is for 7-9 year-olds and Coyotes is for 10-13 year-olds.
Students (ages 7-12) are welcomed and encouraged to participate in both days of class as the curriculum will be unique for Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Creating a safe environment in which children can play and explore their world
- Providing fun, hands-on opportunities for children to learn
- Adaptability so that the programs match the energy of the group during a particular session
- Encouraging students to identify their unique gifts and passions, and to explore them with confidence
- Mentoring delivered by instructors with experience working with children in this age group
- Using our widely-respected educational philosophy, we encourage creative thinking rather than simply providing answers. Our goal is to help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, fostering a deeper level of learning and connection.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- Apprentices who offer additional instructor support
- A targeted 1:10 adult to student ratio
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child’s respect for self, others, and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals