Ages 14 to 18
Linne Doran: Duvall, WA
Classtime: Fri 6:00 pm to Sun 3:00 pm
List Dates Below
“Niya considers the teens in Wild Within especially her “tribe”. This is the place she feels most accepted, valued, seen. It’s the place that creates the space that allows deep thinking to arise. I am profoundly grateful for the staff, the mentoring model, the nature skill practice as a vehicle for personal growth. It’s clear that WAS programs have been a large part of what allows Niya to be herself in a way that is very different from her public school peers. To evaluate the choices she sees them make, and decide with intention what she will or will not participate in.”– Kylie, mother of Niya (age 17)
Due to COVID-19, we are uncertain if we will be able to host overnights for the 2021-2022 school year. The dates below reflect program dates for day programs which will be held on Saturdays from 12pm – 8pm and Sundays from 10am – 4pm. If we are able to run overnights, Wild Within will return to its normal schedule from Friday evenings through Sunday afternoons. This will impact pricing as well. If we are able to run overnights, you will have an opportunity to withdraw from the program. We will offer you a full refund if the new schedule or price does not work for you.
Join a group of teens who seek adventure, skills and true wildness with amazing people!
Please note: There are 2 separate programs, Wild Within 1 for 14 to 16-year-olds and Wild Within 2 for 16 to 18-year-olds. New 16-year-old Wild Within students may be asked to join the 14 to 16-year-old program. Returning 16-year-old students may still be encouraged to join the 14 to 16-year-old program but can join the 16 to 18-year-old program with approval from staff.
Wild Within gives teens the opportunity to intensely live the core routines of nature awareness, practicing the wilderness and community building skills that bring us alive.
Students will learn:
- The art of tracking animals
- Wilderness living and survival skills like primitive fire making, shelter building, and survival bow making
- Knowledge of and relationship to the local mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, plants and trees of Washington
- How to understand and interpret the language of the birds
- Medicinal and edible qualities of wild plants
- How to explore safely on- and off-trail in the woods
- Leadership and peacemaking skills
Each of the 8 weekends will focus on a different aspect of this learning journey, based on the season, location, and knowledge and interest of the group. As the group discovers its major interests, the instructors will work to provide opportunities for in-depth learning in those areas to the group and to individuals with a passion for mastery of a certain topic.
Our educational philosophy focuses on
- Helping students identify and pursue their special gifts and passions in life
- Letting students figure things out “on their own,” providing a safe environment in which to do so
- Mentoring delivered by experienced instructors with both extensive experience teaching wilderness survival and a solid understanding of the unique needs of teens
- Using our widely-respected educational philosophy, we encourage creative thinking rather than simply providing answers. Our goal is to help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, fostering a deeper level of learning and connection.
Our instructional staff includes
- Two experienced instructors
- A target staff ratio of 1 staff per 5 students, including 1 staff instructor and 1 apprentice instructor per 10 students
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child’s respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals
Weekend Program Dates (2021-2022)
Wild Within 1: Ages 14-16
Sep 25-26, Oct 16-17, Nov 6-7, Dec 4-5, Jan 29-30, Feb 26-27, Mar 26-27, Apr 30-May 1
Wild Within 2: Ages 16-18
Oct 2-3, Oct 23-24, Nov 13-14, Dec 11-12, Feb 5-6, Mar 5-6, Apr 2-3, May 7-8
Program will run on Saturday from 12pm – 8pm, and Sunday from 10am – 4pm.