Ages 14 to 18
Linne Doran: Duvall, WA
Classtime: Fri 6:00 pm to Sun 3:00 pm
List Dates Below
“Niya considers the teens in Wild Within especially her “tribe”. This is the place she feels most accepted, valued, seen. It’s the place that creates the space that allows deep thinking to arise. I am profoundly grateful for the staff, the mentoring model, the nature skill practice as a vehicle for personal growth. It’s clear that WAS programs have been a large part of what allows Niya to be herself in a way that is very different from her public school peers. To evaluate the choices she sees them make, and decide with intention what she will or will not participate in.”– Kylie, mother of Niya (age 17)
July 23, 2021 Update: Due to recent changes from the WA Dept. of Health, we are allowed to run overnight programs once again. We are running Wild Within as an overnight for the 2021-22 School Year! That being said, there are additional requirements that we will need to follow to be able to run Wild Within as an overnight. Staff and students will either need to be fully vaccinated OR test negative prior to each weekend. We will also follow additional guidance as it is required. Masks will be required for all staff and students during transportation, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are NO LONGER required while outdoors. We strongly encourage all staff and students who are eligible to get vaccinated.
Join a group of teens who seek adventure, skills and true wildness with amazing people!
Please note: There are 2 separate programs, Wild Within 1 for 14 to 16-year-olds and Wild Within 2 for 16 to 18-year-olds. New 16-year-old Wild Within students may be asked to join the 14 to 16 year-old program. Returning 16-year-old students may still be encouraged to join the 14 to 16 year-old program but can join the 16 to 18 year-old program with approval from staff.
Wild Within gives teens the opportunity to intensely live the core routines of nature awareness, practicing the wilderness and community building skills that bring us alive.
Students will learn:
- The art of tracking animals
- Wilderness living and survival skills like primitive fire making, shelter building, and survival bow making
- Knowledge of and relationship to the local mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, plants and trees of Washington
- How to understand and interpret the language of the birds
- Medicinal and edible qualities of wild plants
- How to explore safely on- and off-trail in the woods
- Leadership and peacemaking skills
Each of the 8 weekends will focus on a different aspect of this learning journey, based on the season, location, and knowledge and interest of the group. As the group discovers its major interests, the instructors will work to provide opportunities for in-depth learning in those areas to the group and to individuals with a passion for mastery of a certain topic.
Logistics & What’s Included
- Class takes place from Friday at 6pm to Sunday at 3pm
- All weekends will meet at our 40-acre Campus outside of Duvall
- Some weekends will be an expedition visiting beautiful natural areas in the greater Puget Sound region, while other weekends will take place at our Duvall Campus
- We will provide 2 meals: Saturday dinner and Sunday lunch; all other meals are provided by students
Additional Required COVID Protocols
- All participants will be required to complete an at home health screening prior to coming to program.
- To provide proof of vaccination, please email registrar@wildernessawarness a copy of your official vaccination card. This can be a pdf or an image. Anyone who has not provided proof of being fully vaccinated will need to be tested before each weekend.
- For unvaccinated participants, we will need proof of a negative test taken within 72 hours of the start time of each weekend. This can be a PCR test or a rapid result antibody test (Ex: BinaxNOW). We will have tests available to purchase and use during sign in. They will cost $15.
- Masks will be required while in school vehicles for all staff, students and apprentices, regardless of vaccination status
Our educational philosophy focuses on
- Helping students identify and pursue their special gifts and passions in life
- Letting students figure things out “on their own,” providing a safe environment in which to do so
- Mentoring delivered by experienced instructors with both extensive experience teaching wilderness survival and a solid understanding of the unique needs of teens
- Using our widely-respected educational philosophy, we encourage creative thinking rather than simply providing answers. Our goal is to help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, fostering a deeper level of learning and connection.
Our instructional staff includes
- Two experienced instructors
- A target staff ratio of 1 staff per 5 students, including 1 staff instructor and 1 apprentice instructor per 10 students
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child’s respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals
Weekend Program Dates (2021-2022)
Wild Within 1: Ages 14-16
Sep 24-26, Oct 15-17, Nov 5-7, Dec 3-5, Jan 28-30, Feb 25-27, Mar 25-27, Apr 29-May 1
Wild Within 2: Ages 16-18
Oct 1-3, Oct 22-24, Nov 12-14, Dec 10-12, Feb 4-6, Mar 4-6, Apr 1-3, May 6-8
Program will run Friday at 6pm through Sunday at 3pm.