Ages 10 to 13
Tolt MacDonald Park, St Edward State Park
Dates Listed Below
Pre-requisite: 2 years WAS experience and/or concurrent registration in another monthly program. See below for more details.
Explore your world through fun, hands-on activities, story-telling and games! This program builds on what students learn in our Nature Explorer and Nature Adventure programs.
Students will learn:
- Knife safety and carving
- Fire by friction
- Animal tracking
- Land navigation, with and without a map and/or compass
- Knowledge of plants, mammals and birds
The Nature Skills Monthly Program is open to students who have had a minimum of two years of experience with Wilderness Awareness School monthly and/or weekly programs or as a second day each month for students who are enrolled in any of our other monthly programs.
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Providing fun, hands-on opportunities for children to get outside and learn about the natural world
- Variety through weekly themes
- Adaptability so that the programs match the energy of the group during a particular session
- Mentoring delivered by instructors with experience working with children in this age group
- Using our widely-respected educational philosophy, we encourage creative thinking rather than simply providing answers. Our goal is to help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, fostering a deeper level of learning and connection.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- A targeted 1:10 adult to student ratio
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child’s respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals
Saturday Programs (2021-2022)
(Ages 10 to 13) 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saint Edward State Park (Kenmore)
Saturdays: Sep 25, Oct 23, Nov 20, Jan 22, Feb 26, Mar 26, Apr 30
Saturdays: Oct 2, Oct 30, Dec 4, Jan 29, Mar 5, Apr 2, May 7