|See Dates Below|
Enrollment for Fall 2018 will begin in April.
Pre-requisite: 2 years WAS experience and/or concurrent registration in another monthly program. See below for more details.
Explore your world through fun, hands-on activities, story-telling and games! This program builds on what students learn in our Nature Explorer and Nature Adventure programs.
Over the course of the 7 sessions, students will learn:
- Knife safety and carving
- Fire by friction
- Animal tracking
- Land navigation, with and without a map and/or compass
- Knowledge of plants, mammals and birds
The curriculum for this program changes annually, alternating themes throughout a 3-year cycle: scout, survival and naturalist/stewardship. This offers new knowledge and challenges to students who have participated in previous years. The Nature Skills Monthly Program is open to students who have had a minimum of two years of experience with Wilderness Awareness School monthly and/or weekly programs or as a second day each month for students who are enrolled in any of our other monthly programs.
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Providing fun, hands-on opportunities for children to get outside and learn about the natural world
- Variety through weekly themes
- Adaptability so that the programs match the energy of the group during a particular session
- Mentoring delivered by instructors with experience working with children in this age group
- Using Coyote Mentoring, a widely-respected educational philosophy developed at the Wilderness Awareness School, to encourage creative thinking rather than providing answers, help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, and encourage a much deeper level of learning.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- Apprentices who offer additional instructor support
- A targeted 1:10 adult to student ratio
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child's respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals
2017-18 Saturday Nature Skills Programs
(Ages 10 to 13) 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Cougar Mountain (Bellevue)
Sep. 16, Oct. 14, Nov. 11, Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 17, Apr. 21
Saint Edward State Park (Kenmore)
Sep. 23, Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Jan. 20, Feb. 24, Mar. 24, Apr. 28
Sep. 30, Oct. 28, Dec. 2, Jan. 27, Mar. 3, Mar. 31, May 5