Van transport from downtown Duvall
|9:00 am to 3:00 pm|
|September 13th, 2018 - May 23rd, 2019|
We have a lot of fun in nature, a refreshing change from regular life where you can just let go of whatever else is going on and just relax and have a good time... and be aware and connected with the earth, I feel comfortable there.
Rutah, age 14
Thank you for all you do for our children. It is a blessing to have adults who care deeply about our children and who are passing on their love for the world and people around us.
Dawn Behm, Parent
NOTE: Fall 2018 Registration now open! There are new age groups for 2018-19. See below for details.
Wilderness Awareness Community School is a weekly program that helps teenagers to engage their natural intelligence and awaken their innate abilities to perceive and connect with the world around them. Our students immerse themselves in intensive, experiential studies of nature from both scientific and indigenous perspectives. While the program was designed to meet the needs of homeschooled children, it is open to any teen with an interest in nature. Our approach to studying nature combines modern scientific understanding with the more first-hand connections that ancient cultures had with the natural world.
New Age Groups for 2018-19!
As interest in our pre-teen and teen programs continues to grow, we are adjusting the age groupings for Community School to better meet the needs of students. Starting this Fall, there will be two age groups:
Jays: Ages 12-13
Ravens: Ages 14-18
Both groups will still meet on Fridays. And from time-to-time both groups will join together. But having this split will allow for a smaller overall group that meets students where they are at (both emotionally and cognitively). We are very excited about this new change! Please let us know if you have questions
Over the course of the year, our teen wilderness course focuses on many topics, including:
- Wilderness survival skills
- Mammals and tracking
- Birds and their languages
- Plants and their uses (edible, medicinal, utilitarian)
- Aidless navigation
- Trees and primitive living skills
- Ecology and community
- Specialized skills such as harvesting and preparing medicinal plants, preparing fleece and making felt blankets, carving, and basketry
We explore these topics using a powerful, comprehensive curriculum. We begin our inquiries experientially, taking students into the natural world where they can see, smell, hear and feel the subject matter. To this experiential understanding, we add a cognitive component as our students research the current topic through books, field guides, lectures and other resources.
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Creating centered, healthy, self-motivated young adults who are able to think critically for themselves
- Developing in those teens the confidence and inspiration to dream a vivid vision of their own future and the skills and enthusiasm to pursue that vision
- Teaching a comprehensive naturalist curriculum that allows students who are so inclined to become skilled naturalists and master trackers
- Encouraging students to identify their unique gifts and passions, and to explore them with confidence
- Mentoring delivered by experienced wilderness and naturalist instructors who have a deep understanding of the unique needs of teens
- Using Coyote Mentoring, a widely-respected educational philosophy developed at the Wilderness Awareness School, to encourage creative thinking rather than providing answers, help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, and encourage a much deeper level of learning.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- Apprentices who offer additional instructor support
- A larger community of amateur and professional naturalists, artists, crafts people, teachers, elders, and young people
- A target staff ratio of 1 staff per 5 students, including 1 staff instructor and 1 apprentice instructors per 10 students
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child's respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals